Freezer burn

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Freezer burn

Post by observer on Tue May 01, 2012 3:17 am

How long is too long to keep something in the freezer? How does "freezer burn" happen anyway?

observer
The Watchful Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Freezer burn

Post by Spidubic on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Depends on how good it is sealed. Freezer burn is caused by air getting to the food so the better it is sealed the longer it should last.

Spidubic
Admin

View user profile http://norfolk-community.forumotion.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:30 pm

The freezer burn dries out the meat and makes it tough. If I found some, I'd try cutting it off.
My hubby used to think my freezer/fridge system was a bit wacky. Either I've become smarter or else he's just used to it...but... I fill my fridge freezer (it's a huge one, bottom compartment) with all the specials I can find and usually don't replenish until most or all of the food has been eaten. When the fridge is amost empty of fresh stuff (nothing in jars) then I wipe down all the shelves before putting in fresh food. Rarely do we have food wasted that way. I think that was the clincher for him. (Retired, male, senior, Scottish and an accountant!)

kishgo
Record Breaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by observer on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:41 pm

Had a roast in the freezer for about 9 months. DID cut off the dried parts - and most of the fat I could observe - cause it seems to me that's where the "freezer burn flavour" accumulates the most - and then oven roasted it.

My son's dog is going to be eating well for the next few days!

There's a "flavour" that goes with the freezer burn - and usually a smell. I thought I was safe, because it smelled fine - but, there's still that "flavour"

observer
The Watchful Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top